Monday, August 30, 2010

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun, on the bio

No, that isn't a typo.  I have been asked to create a "bio" for distribution to all staff and students at my new employer.  This is not the sort of task I relish.  Do I write in first person, third person, what?  Maybe I should use the royal "we." "We are especially pleased that we should be welcomed into the Globe University family." Should I be chummy, or professional?  Can I be both?  Since I've never done this sort of work before, how do I describe myself in a way that will instill confidence?  "Uh, yea, I know I've never actually DONE this kind of thing??? but, I can TOTALLY do it."  All I can do is hope that my husband's confident manner has rubbed off on me a bit.  He has the delightful ability, at the drop of a hat and if asked, to tell anyone and everyone within earshot about all the great things he has done and been.  For him, confidence flows like water over the side of a plugged eaves trough during a hurricane. 

For me, although I am very confident in my abilities and competence, expressing that verbally is a toughie.  My good-girl, Catholic upbringing keeps reminding me to tone it down...don't be a braggart. "Never forget that you did get a C in gym class."

It isn't always easy assessing ourselves.  I always tend to be too tough on myself. If I'm not careful, I'll measure myself against my own mind's eye version of who I could/should be, rather than acknowledging what I've learned and become. How do I take a good look at myself, sum it all up, and share that with others?


Where is the balance?  My old pal the Dalai Lama of course has something to say on this point:
To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.

Ok, so we know there is a balance point somewhere.  Somewhere between delusion and self-flagellation there is the spot where we feel good.  The spot where we know ourselves.  We have knowledge, experience, wisdom, and talents.  Focus on those, knowing that there is always more to learn, and always room to grow!

So, enough stalling...time to write that bio!

No comments:

Post a Comment