Monday, September 6, 2010

Cooler Near the Lake Part I

This will be a three-part post so as not to get too long on any one post.  Last week I took my annual solo trip to Duluth.  I start a new job tomorrow, one for which I am extremely grateful and excited, so wanted to charge my batteries at The Lake.  I lived for only three years in Superior, during high school, but still consider that area home.  Of all the places I've been, the shore north of Duluth still holds the most power for me.  The pounding waves, rocky shore, ships out on the waves...they all ground me and bring a sense of peace.


I have my set itinerary when I go Up North.  Varies very little from year to year, although if I have more time I'll add some extras like Gooseberry Falls State Park or Splitrock Lighthouse.  I leave the Madison area early in the morning, by six at the latest.  Make my way up the interstate, past Mauston and the Oasis truck stop which has awesome pie and tuna melts, onward north.  Now I'm starting to feel "away."  Continuing along the highway, past Eau Claire, into the Northern Highlands.  The Highlands area was once a mountain range, now worn from centuries of glaciers and erosion.  It isn't really that hilly, but is higher than the rest of the state.  This is the gateway to the Lake Superior Watershed, and...The Lake.  Cresting the hill, I finally can glimpse the lake in the distance.  It's all downhill from here...literally and figuratively.  Almost there!

Arriving in Duluth, I head first to Canal Park.  This is a fun area on The Lake where you can watch BIG ships entering and leaving the port.  The aerial lift bridge sounds its alarm, and crowds gather to see what ship is coming.  Sometimes it is just a tour boat (darn!) but I was lucky and saw a 1200-footer make its way through the channel to The Lake.  This area also is full of shops and galleries, restaurants and pubs.  When I lived in Superior (sister city to Duluth) this area was all strip clubs and empty warehouses, save for the one restaurant, Grandma's.  Now I park, hit the Amazing Grace coffee shop, stroll through the galleries, hit the small bookstore to browse books by local authors, and generally "pook and poke" as my mom says.  Good to stretch my legs after the 5+ hour drive, but is it me or is it about 15 degrees cooler here than at home?

Off to my cabin!  I have stayed at different places through the years, but I really like this one.  It hits the right note...only a few minutes into the city, but not in the city...view of The Lake from my bed...coffee maker and fridge...teeny tiny bathroom with instant hot showers...ahhh.  Especially nice since the temperature HERE is at least 5 to 10 degrees cooler than in town!  The righthand unit is where I stayed, and the Lake photo is taken from the bed. 

Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a getaway.
http://www.northshorecottages.com/

After a brief rest and settling-in time, I'm ready to hit the town.  I usually do the "city thing" the first day, and the "Lake thing" the second.  Just the way it seems to go.  I purchased some local beer for hubby, drove the Scenic Highway looking for houses to buy someday (hey, fun to dream), and finally headed to my one must-do...Sir Benedict's Tavern on the Lake.  Now, this is a pub in a converted gas station.  Amazing view of the Lake, terrific build-your-own sandwiches, and free live music.  I particularly like the Irish Music Jam, so try to plan my trips with a Thursday overnight so I can see that.  See Part II for the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment