Friday, September 10, 2010

Cheeser weezer

I have cheese on the mind.  I am a Wisconsin girl, after all.  But for some reason, this week cheese rules.

Yesterday, at work, we managers cooked breakfast for the staff.  I was in charge of eggs.  Now, I don't know about you, but for me scrambled eggs = 50% eggs + 50% cheese.  My eggs were very popular.  I cooked three dozen and could not keep up with demand.  Several people came back for seconds, and one young woman stopped back on her way to her desk and just, get this, spooned the eggs into her hand.  Again, you heard right.  She didn't even bother grabbing a plate, just put a spoonful into her hand and ate it like that.  Now, that is a compliment!

Earlier this week I made the trip across town to Steve's http://www.stevesknows.com/, a wine/liquor shop where they also have a wonderful selection of cheeses.  You see, I had a coupon from Groupon, and was eager to splurge.  I ended up with a delicious Italian salami, some smoked gouda (quickly becoming my favorite of all time), and a brie with bleu cheese veins.  Yum.  Today I am obsessed with manteche (top), which is provolone filled with butter, and burrata (bottom), which is mozzarella filled with cream.  Yes, you heard right.  I must have these cheeses.  Then I will be complete.

That same day I went to a fancy chocolate shop, DB Infusion Chocolates http://www.infusionchocolates.com/.  Now, their treats are incredibly beautiful.  Glorious colors, shiny, interesting flavor combinations.  Make a great impression.  The two I tasted were a Thai peanut butter, which was like a peanut butter cup with Thai curry flavors.  The next one was dark chocolate with infusion of bleu cheese, fig balsamic vinegar (another favorite of mine), pear, and hickory nuts.  Mm.  For appearance and WOW, these chocolates are the thang, man.  But, my favorite chocolatier is still Gail Ambrosius  http://gailambrosius.com/.  Gail is the best for three main reasons: 1.  She has the best name imaginable for a chocolatier, 2. She used to be a cartographer (the geographer in me will never die), and 3. Her chocolates draw me into a whole different state of mind.  Seriously, her truffles are almost a mind-altering experience.  I actually will cut her chocolates into four pieces, since my poor, mortal mind is nearly completely overwhelmed if I eat a whole one all at once.  The textures, flavors, and...I don't know.  She just totally GETS it.  Her truffles are an experience, not just a treat.  I cannot eat one without closing my eyes and feeling the world rush away, just for a moment.  So...go online or to her shop in east Madison and see for yourself. 

Oh, now, where was I?  Well, cheese and chocolate are in the same category.  Life's little pleasures.  Those things that cost very little yet yield so much.  In my book, that makes them among the most important things in life.  Read my book, people...it's pretty good!  I entreat you!

No comments:

Post a Comment