Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Goodwill Hunting

So, yesterday my best friend and I were at the Goodwill store.  I love the treasure hunt aspect of shopping there...I never know what I'm going to find.  Quickly: yesterday it was a pair of Franco Sarto boots for $4 and a J. Jill suit for $8 (would be $80 and $200 respectively, retail).  OK, back to my main point.  We never know where we'll find an unexpected jewel.

You know that little thrill you get when you're at the grocery store, and there are...free samples?!  It's like Christmas, even though the samples are usually for food you'd never buy anyway.  Free!  yay!

In the small town where I live (population 1100 soaking wet) there is a little old lady.  She is very bent over with osteoporosis, and uses a rolling walker.  She has every reason to sit home and rest, since she can barely move.  But every single day she goes for a long walk.  I'll see her all over town (well, the last street at the edge of town is 2nd Street, but still).  Rain, shine, 10 degrees, 90 degrees...she is out there moving and grooving with her reflective safety vest on.  I have always admired her.  Let's call her LOL (little old lady).


The other day a friend of mine who is extremely well connected in town shared a story with me about this lady.  It seems that the local bank used to have a popcorn machine in the lobby.  The staff would fill little bags so that customers could grab a small snack after they finished their banking.  (I love small towns)  Well, this admirable lady heard about the feast to be had, and would often stop by.  Apparently, LOL would fill the basket on the front of her walker with EVERY bag of popcorn, and then head home.

Now, I am not one to cast aspersions.  I love popcorn, and in fact my mother taught us that it is the fifth food group. Nearly every Sunday it was popcorn and Wide World of Disney for dinner.

Well, the bank decided that its bottom line was being too severely impacted by LOL and packed up the popcorn machine. To me, this seems the height of mean-spiritedness. LOL worked hard to get to the bank for her snack.  Doesn't she deserve some small recognition for her sacrifice?  I think so.

I believe that it is these small treasures...small victories, surprises, serendipitous tidbits...that make life so much fun.  Sometimes I'll even plant something...a few coins, for example...in a public spot just so someone can have the pleasure of discovering a treasure.  After all, what is life good for if we can't laugh?  I just have this one directive for you today...LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment