Monday, September 6, 2010

Cooler Near the Lake, Part III

Boy, it was cold in the night.  Glad the cabin had extra blankets.  Hot shower, ate the yogurt and cereal I brought for breakfast, made coffee, headed out.  Check out and hit the road.  Fortunately, I didn't have to travel far.  The Lake is always there.  In years past, I would spend so much time driving farther up the Shore.  Drive drive drive to get as far North as I could.  Now, I rest just outside the main city (although the cabins are technically in Duluth, you'd never know it).  There are so many places to stop and clamber down to the shore.  There is a water plant on the Lake, where they have an artesian well.  It's just a pipe stuck in the ground, with a spigot, and I always stop at least once to fill a water bottle here.  Then, just a few miles towards the city, there is a lovely park...KitcheeGamee.  As some of you may know, kitcheegamee, gitchee gumi, etc. are Ojibwe/Anishinabee names for Lake Superior.  You might like to read Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha sometime.  Anyway, this is a great park with a long shoreline.  Sipped my coffee, called hubby (who also loves the Lake) and gathered stones as I always do.  Breathed in the lake air, rested on the boulders, and said "thank you for being here, now farewell."

Wanted to stop at a cafe on my way out of town to blog, but the one I stopped at had no wifi.  Still, Va Bene, Berarducci's Caffee was worth the visit.  I'd never been here before, but would love to go back for dinner sometime.  The decor is lovely, and there is a back "porch" with an amazing Lake view.  The waiter, Joel, was gracious and well-mannered.  He moved back to Duluth from Omaha where he attended school because he missed the geography.  I have met other young people like him here in past travels...something about the Lake draws them back.  Like me.  We had a chat, I drank some coffee, had some soup, and headed out. 

There is a park in northern Wisconsin called Interstate State Park.  I have wanted to go there for years.  It is at the westernmost terminus of the Ice Age Trail (I used to work for them) and has interesting features.  The things I wanted to see most were the potholes.  These are features left from when the area was flooded after the glaciers receded.  Small or large boulders would be caught in whirling currents near the bottom of the glacial lake, and would grind their way into the bedrock.  This created round holes, tunnels, and the like.  Really neat stuff for a geography nerd like myself. 
I hiked the pothole trail, overlooking the St. Croix River.  Rocky cliffs, evergreens, rainy and windy...this is the North I love!  Stopped to eat the Cajun Finn sandwich I'd bought on my way out of Duluth (forgot to mention this, did I?  The Northern Waters Smokehaus at DeWitt Seitz marketplace at Canal Park is amazing...)  Cajun Finn is cajun smoked salmon, scallion cream cheese, pepperoncini, and roasted red peppers on ciabatta...oh...my...goodness.  Anyhoo, ate my sandwich while enjoying the view, then realized I still had 4+ hours of travel time, so time to head home.  sigh
What more can be said?  Headed home to hubby, house, and new job.  Grateful for everything, and taking the Lake with me wherever I go.  Until next year...well, maybe sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment